Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Novella Review: Poison Dance (Midnight Thief, #0.5)

Author: Livia Blackburne
Series: A Midnight Thief Novella 
Publisher: Lion's Quill Press (self published work)
Release: Sep 12th 2013
Source: Author
Pages: 84 (ebook)
( Amazon | Goodreads )
James is skilled, efficient, and deadly, a hired blade navigating the shifting alliances of a deteriorating Assassin’s Guild. Then he meets Thalia, an alluring but troubled dancing girl who offers him a way out—if he’ll help her kill a powerful nobleman. With the Guild falling apart, it just might be worth the risk. But when you live, breathe, and love in a world that’s forever flirting with death, the slightest misstep can be poison.


Poison Dance is the first self published work by Livia Blackburne. This novella serves as a prequel to Blackburne's upcoming novel Midnight Thief, which has been scheduled to release in July 8th 2014 (publisher: Disney-Hyperion). I must thank Livia for giving me such a wonderful opportunity to read her work. It has been an absolute joy and I was thoroughly intrigued. I know many of you are skeptical towards self published novels, but Poison Dance is certainly something worth checking out.

Despite its length, Poison Dance tells a heartfelt tale infused with everything you could possibly be wishing for. Vengeance, romance, action, you name it! Although not every element is carried to the same extent as the other, you will for sure enjoy this short and utterly gripping read. James, an experienced assassin, always calm and a little restrained, was approached with an interesting request by a girl named Thalia. She offered him possibilities of a new life but at the same time sought his assistance to take someone else's. He helped her. They grew closer as their goals grew nearer, but since the beginning, no true happiness was ever feasible for both of them. You anxiously awaits the final showdown, and inevitably a tragic it was.

The story left me feeling a little bit hollow afterwards. It wasn't at all tear-jerking, but there were several occasions when I just felt totally helpless and the only thing I could do was watching James and Thalia make the wrong decisions, witnessing the plot going towards a darker end. I was very much invested in the story and I liked both of the main characters. The plot was pretty straightforward and I enjoy Blackburne's narrating style a lot. With much fewer words, she is able to depict personalities extremely well. I think that is the reason why I was so drawn into Poison Dance regardless of it being short and simple.

I also think that some part of me just really digs assassins and romance that could not be said out loud. It is easy to see Thalia's and James' feelings towards each other. The affection shown through their actions, but not once did they ever admit love (or able to admit love). They simply missed their chances and the story moved on like waves crashing and disappearing on land. Heartbreaking.

Overall, I enjoyed this quick read of Poison Dance. I'm looking forward to see Livia Blackburne's Midnight Thief where a female heroine will be featured in the same background setting. I suspect I will miss James and Thalia deeply.


My Rating: ★★★ (4 and 1/2 stars)

(A copy of this book was kindly provided by the author. All opinions expressed here are my honest view regarding the book. No considerations or compensations were involved.)

2 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I have not started this series but its looks like a promising series :)

    Trinity @ The Little Bookworm Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really excited for Midnight Thief to come out, but it's not gonna happen util July.... so gonna be a long wait

      Delete