Friday, December 13, 2013

Friday Share (1) : Fairytale Explorer

Friday Share is a weekly meme hosted here at Spare Reads to spotlight 1-2 novels at a time based on a particular theme.

Hi, everyone! 

I hope you have been enjoying the Christmas shopping mania :) As for me, I was hooked on City of Bones for the past couple of days and I must say that it's absolutely AMAZING. I will post a review shortly.

With the beginning of a new year in sight, I thought it would be fun to share some interesting reads with you. Both those I have read and those I want to read. I will probably keep this as a Friday tradition and I hope some of them would spark your interests!

This week, I would like to present to you the Fairytale Explorer Edition! As you may have guessed from the title, all my recommendations today will revolve around a theme: Fairytale. There are a lot of YA books centered around fairytales: an adventure in the classic fairytale world, an alternative fairytale rewrite in modern time, or maybe a horror fairytale retelling, etc. I am particularly fond of this type of story and have sought out a couple of them that look quite promising.

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland In A Ship Of Her Own Making (Fairyland, #1)
by Catherynne M. Valente

Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Release: May 10th 2011
Pages: 247
( Amazon | Goodreads )
Twelve-year-old September lives in Omaha, and used to have an ordinary life, until her father went to war and her mother went to work. One day, September is met at her kitchen window by a Green Wind (taking the form of a gentleman in a green jacket), who invites her on an adventure, implying that her help is needed in Fairyland. The new Marquess is unpredictable and fickle, and also not much older than September. Only September can retrieve a talisman the Marquess wants from the enchanted woods, and if she doesn’t . . . then the Marquess will make life impossible for the inhabitants of Fairyland. September is already making new friends, including a book-loving Wyvern and a mysterious boy named Saturday.

With exquisite illustrations by acclaimed artist Ana Juan, Fairyland lives up to the sensation it created when the author first posted it online. For readers of all ages who love the charm of Alice in Wonderland and the soul of The Golden Compass, here is a reading experience unto itself: unforgettable, and so very beautiful.
My Notes: 

This book is actually the next one on my list to read :D From the looks of it, you will be going on an adventure with September to the Fairyland! The cover and artworks in this book are incredibly adorable. I was told that the style of the story is similar to The Wizard of Oz and I'm quite excited to start it off.


Sister Red (Fairytale Retellings, #1)
by Jackson Pearce
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Release: June 7th 2010
Pages: 328
Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris--the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.

Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts ferociously alongside her. But even as more girls' bodies pile up in the city and the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax and Scarlett's only friend--but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they've worked for?
My Notes: 

Sister Red is a coincidental find when I was just randomly browsing through Goodreads. The cover drew me in and I have always enjoyed a fairytale retelling, which obviously this one retells the story of Little Red Riding Hood. I look forward to explore the dark elements in this book. After all who don't love a twisted fairytale story?