Monday, December 30, 2013

Mini Review: The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (Fairyland, #1)

Author: Catherynne M. Valente
Illustration: Ana Juan
Series: Fairyland, #1
Publisher: Square Fish (Macmillan)
Release: May 10th 2011
Source: Purchased
Pages: 247 (paperback)
( Amazon | Goodreads )
Twelve-year-old September lives in Omaha, and used to have an ordinary life, until her father went to war and her mother went to work. One day, September is met at her kitchen window by a Green Wind (taking the form of a gentleman in a green jacket), who invites her on an adventure, implying that her help is needed in Fairyland. The new Marquess is unpredictable and fickle, and also not much older than September. Only September can retrieve a talisman the Marquess wants from the enchanted woods, and if she doesn’t . . . then the Marquess will make life impossible for the inhabitants of Fairyland. September is already making new friends, including a book-loving Wyvern and a mysterious boy named Saturday.

With exquisite illustrations by acclaimed artist Ana Juan, Fairyland lives up to the sensation it created when the author first posted it online. For readers of all ages who love the charm of Alice in Wonderland and the soul of The Golden Compass, here is a reading experience unto itself: unforgettable, and so very beautiful.

I struggled quite a bit with this book initially. The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making is written using such a classic fairytale storytelling technique. Almost every line is meticulously constructed with a combination of rhythms, details, and old-fashioned phrases, so much so I felt it difficult and confusing to read in the beginning. As time goes on, I discovered that I have grown to really like Valente's writing. The wisdoms she infused in those riddle-like sentences are my biggest gain from this book.

Readers will always insist on adventures, and though you can have grief without adventures, you cannot have adventures without grief.

The story divulges a 12-year-old girl named September's first adventure in Fairyland. She is heartless and fearless. Although Fairyland under the ruling of the cruel Marquess is not what she has imagined it to be, September made a couple of interesting friends, had a lot of fun, and undertook some serious tasks. She was faced with grave danger and even Death, but she survived it all and saved the world as a heroine should have in September's mind. 

I had so much fun traveling in Fairyland with September and I adore the imagery Valente created through her elegant prose. It is fascinating to me that she came up with that level of details about the Fairyland world and all the mythical creatures who reside in it. The plot kept me engaging as well. I must admit that I did not see the ending coming and was pleasantly surprised when September finally met with the Marquess for the second time. If you are looking for a warm and fuzzy fairytale to read and dream about, this would be the book for you. And now if you will excuse me, I have another Fairyland book to fetch.


My Rating: ★★★★ (4 stars)

4 comments:

  1. This sounds really cute and fun! I don't read a lot of MG...but I should. I want to write it someday. ;) I love that cover too....so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is! There are more illustrations in the book too and they are all adorable :D

      Delete
  2. The world keeps trying to convince me that i should read this!! Sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a light read and a super cute story. You should totally check it out :)

      Delete