Monday, March 3, 2014

Review: Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)

Author: Beth Revis
Series: Across the Universe, #1
Publisher: Razorbill
Release: Jan 11th 2011
Source: Purchased
Pages: 416 (ebook)
( Amazon | Goodreads )
A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder....

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, 300 years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end 50 years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone - one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship - tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.

Set against the backdrop of space with a tinge of mystery, Across the Universe is the first book in Beth Revis' bestselling sci-fi dystopian trilogy and undoubtedly has one of the most intriguing premises among YA novels. I mean, seriously, who wouldn't love a story using a spaceship as its center stage? Though despite the inspiring originality, Across the Universe failed miserably to capture my attention. Not impressed. That is all I have to say about this book.
The story begins as Amy, one of our protagonists, is cryogenically frozen inside a box. She, along with her parents, are put to sleep through their 300-year journey to a new planet and to be revived upon arrival. But the plan goes way off course. Amy is awakened 50 years early, but by whom? Barely surviving the reanimation process, she finds herself surrounded by metal walls and bizarre human beings who resemble empty shells more than living souls. Shattered by the realization that she would never reunite with her parents again, Amy finds comfort in Elder, the future leader of the spaceship Godspeed. Together, they must uncover the secrets buried on this ship and fend for the people they love the most.

Honestly, I would probably enjoy the main plot line a lot more if not for its plodding pace. For me, Across the Universe isn't at all interesting until the last 30% of the book, which is really the saving grace for the two and half stars you see here. It is only when the underlying intricacies of Godspeed are revealed that I find myself truly engaged with the story, though, by that point, I'm more intent on validating my speculations rather than actually caring about the characters. Speaking of which, the arrangement of the mystery in Across the Universe is neither complex nor subtle, leaving the ending extremely easy to predict and thus much less entertaining.

Although Beth Revis spent a lot of time in the beginning to lay groundwork for the characters and their backstories, somehow they all fall short of impressive. Amy in particular annoys me a great deal when she whines on and on about how she is never going to see her parents again, which by the way happens more frequent and lengthy than necessary. I do have hopes for Elder though, considering the challenges he must face with how things left at the end of this book. If I were to ever pick up the next installment in this series, it would only be for Elder and for Godspeed.


My Rating:  (2 and 1/2 stars)

16 comments:

  1. Aw, too bad! I haven't read any book in this series (or by this author at all) but now I am less likely to ha. The pacing sounds sooo slow and I could definitely see myself getting bored easily. Oh well, great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah :( It's not a short book either so I spent a lot of time debating whether or not I should DNF it. I'm glad I didn't because I really enjoyed the last 30%, like a lot, enough to make me consider the next installment again. But I'm super hesitant about it :/ Will have to check out more reviews!

      Delete
  2. No! I was hoping this book would be really good. But I absolutely hate slow books so I'll probably hate it as much as you. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard good things about this book before I started, so yeah, pretty disappointed :( I guess I should have known. I started reading it well before Christmas but put it off for like months before getting back to it. The beginning just didn't feel gripping to me, so it's very easy to put down and forget about.

      Delete
  3. YEESSSS!!! Finally someone understands my "meh"-ness for this one! All I've seen is positive review after positive review for this one, and - being someone who didn't enjoy it all that much - it felt really pressuring. But I'm so glad that I've found someone to rant about this with!

    Anyway...I definitely agree! The plot was definitely original - but like you said it was so slow and predictable at times, and the characters were just so hard to connect to.

    As always, brilliant review Angel! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Glad to join your Zoe :P Did you ever continue on to read the next book? I'm super conflicted about it. On one hand, I really want to see how Elder is going to deal with all the people on the ship, but on the other hand, I feel so distant from the characters that I just can't survive the chapters :(

      Delete
  4. Well, this is timely isn't it? ;) I see where you're coming from. I'm still going to read it (just BECAUSE, you know, since she's famous), but I have to admit, I'm totally not a fan of slow books. I have too little time to waste on boring ones. I'll probably hold off boring this for a while yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should totally try it out and see. There are definitely things I enjoyed in this book and I don't completely regret reading it.

      Delete
  5. I really liked this one, but I can see where your coming from! I found Amy's whineyness a bit annoying as well, but you have to admit, she did just lose her parents! She will probably NEVER see them again...or at least not until she's 80!

    I'm excited to see how the third book goes! And how this whole thing ends!

    Lisa
    www.turningpages94.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I just hope Beth Revis spent more time on other things rather than devoting chapters after chapters to Amy's "I will never be able to see my parents" monologue. How did you like the second book by the way? I'm really curious about it!

      Delete
  6. Across the Universe and Alienated are the two books that I constantly see bloggers reviewing. I'm constantly reminded about how they are decent, and not superb, books, even though both have amazing covers. It's such a bummer that books with cool looking covers don't live up to expectations.

    I remembered your comment on my blog a while back about U of R. Then I creeped on your profile. Do you go to University of Rochester too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So although the cover of Across the Universe features a boy and a girl in a spider man kiss pose, the book is actually not that heavy on romance, which I think is pretty rare and a nice change. But yeah, it's kind of disappointing :(

      p.s. check your Goodreads message!

      Delete
  7. I liked this book more in hindsight than the experience of reading. I agree, it picked up toward the end. I haven't yet read the others in the series. I've seen the author at a book event and it really endeared me toward her storytelling so I might still finish it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo that's cool!! Someday, I will have to go to some author signing events or conferences or something. They sounds super interesting. I might pick up the other books in this series, but they will probably be in my long to-read list a.k.a. when I have time. Hope you enjoy them though!

      Delete
  8. Like you, I didn't like this book that much. The pace was too slow for me and I wasn't interested at all in what the book was talking about. I hated Elder too. Everything was just too bland.Great review anyways!

    Ariella @ Secrets of Lost Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know :( I don't understand how there are so many glowing reviews about this one. I do like the premises though, haven't seen that many novels featuring space :P As for Elder, I'm curious to see what he is gonna do now that everyone knows. I imagine there would be riots and stuff and he will need to figure out a way to keep order without going back the old ways.

      Delete