Thursday, November 6, 2014

Review: Sisters Red (Fairytale Retellings, #1)

Author: Jackson Pearce
Series: Fairytale Retellings, #1
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Release: June 7th 2010
Source: Borrowed
Pages: 324 (hardcover)
( Amazon | Goodreads )
Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris--the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.

Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts ferociously alongside her. But even as more girls' bodies pile up in the city and the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax and Scarlett's only friend--but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they've worked for?

Fairy tale retellings are without any doubt my number one soft spot when it comes to reading. Regardless of how well I know about the original fairy tale, I'm always easily entranced by the creativity and imagination that shined through each and every one of the newly-reinvented/reimagined stories. Except, perhaps, when such things do not exist at all in a book. I really wish I can leave some better parting words to SISTERS RED, but in the end, this is a fairy tale retelling that lacks everything.

Scarlett (do you ever wonder what other names a Red Riding Hood retelling character can possibly have?) and Rosie are two sisters who had a deadly encounter with a Fenris (similar to werewolves but with some quirks) in their past. An encounter that not only left them orphaned, but also changed their life trajectories entirely. Instead of growing up like regular teenage girls, Scarlett and Rosie grew up as hunters. Scarlett more so than Rosie. Because unlike Rosie, who still longs for having an ordinary life but is too guilty to pursue it, Scarlett treats hunting down Fenris as her sole responsibility and ultimate goal. When they are suddenly thrust into a race against time and Fenris, Scarlett and Rosie struggle with their different ideals of life. But no matter what, they are sisters, they will win the battle as one.

It actually sounds pretty good, isn't it? That's what I thought before I started as well - kick-ass heroines, sister dynamics, action-packed plotlines, etc. It indeed sounded like something I would love to bits. But do not be fooled, because this book delivered absolutely none of the things I have just mentioned, not even a glimpse.

Both Scarlett and Rosie (and also Silas, the love interest) have unbearably flat and static personalities. In fact, you can figure out exactly what those personalities are right off the bat and they remain the same throughout. There is no change and no development. Among the alternating POV chapters, it basically goes like this - 

First, we have Scarlett venting about not killing enough Fenris and therefore not making a big impact to the world. Then, Rosie comes along and gushes over Silas because he looked at her for too long or some other cliched tropes. She then feels guilty that she is not as dedicated to the cause as her sister wants her to be and mopes about it for awhile. Eventually, she will go "oh gosh Silas" all over again. (Note that this sequence of events reiterates about 20 times throughout the book......)

This is incredibly frustrating and borderline infuriating to read. Every time Rosie has her little "oh Silas" episode, I cringe. And every time Scarlett has her "I have to save the world" speech, I yawn a bit more. There is nothing worse than having two main characters so two-dimensioned that you can anticipate their every move with such a high certainty. Because what else can be new, Scarlett is obviously complaining again.

The plot is of no help either. Similar to how the characters lack depth, the storyline suffers from the absence of complexity as well. I have not seen twists that can be as easily spotted as the ones in SISTERS RED. Even so, I was still hopeful in the earlier sections of the book, thinking that Pearce might still pull out something unique alongside that glaring "twist". But no, it had to progress in the dullest and the most boring way possible

If you enjoy details in your books, you will notice that SISTERS RED is a book that is extremely easy to pick apart. Even something as fundamental to it as a Fenris' origin leads to so many plot holes and unrealities that I cannot even begin to describe.

This has been quite a disappointing experience for me and I don't think I will continue on to read Pearce's other books under the FAIRYTALE RETELLINGS universe. If you are still indecisive about picking this one up or not, I would say skip it!


My Rating: ☆ (1 and 1/2 stars)

13 comments:

  1. OMG ANGEL YOU'RE BACK I WAS WONDERING WHERE YOU WENT AND WHY YOU WEREN'T BLOGGING FOR SO LONG AND YOU COMMENTED ON MY BLOG AND NOW I'M HAPPY!

    And then your new blog layout is beautiful!

    Ok, now onto the actual review haha. I'm definitely going to skip this now because it just seems so frustrating and boring and not worth wasting my time on at all. Thanks for the heads up! And also amazing review! ARE YOU HERE TO STAY?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'M SO SORRY I DISAPPEARED FOR LIKE EVER BUT I'M BACK NOW!

      I'm probably not gonna be able to post that often because of school and things but I will for sure be around the block :D You are totally my role model for blogging Val! Gotta learn from you to keep my blogging fire going! Also, CAN I VENT TO YOU WHENEVER I GET A BIT TOO CRAZY FROM BLOGGING PLZ?

      Delete
    2. YES YES YOU CAN. OH MAN I AM SO STRESSED OUT FROM COLLEGE AND STUFF. I really just want this term to be over hahah! I don't ever care about my gpa I'm just trying to survive until christmas!

      Delete
  2. I am not the biggest fan of retellings. I generally tend to avoid them because they rarely worl for me. But I had high hopes for Pearce simply because she's Maggie Stiefvater's bestie, and I adore Maggie. Shows what I know.
    Sorry you wasted your time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of her earlier works (published in 2010), so perhaps Pearce has improved a lot in her writing? You will have to let me know if you ever pick up one of her more recent books.

      Delete
  3. YAY So glad to see you back Angel! We missed you heaps! Too bad you had to read a book that was dull and boring though, it sounds like they didn't really bother to develop the characters or the plot well. What a shame because it had the potential to be amazing! Lovely review Angel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know D: I really wished this would be good, but it's so hilariously bad. There are so many cliched tropes thrown right in your face. Err I need to read a better retelling to recover from this...

      Delete
  4. HI ANGEL! Love your new layout!
    Yeah, definitely taking your advice and skipping it. I love retellings too and am usually pretty lenient with them but this one sounds...pretty bad. I don't even think I would be able to finish this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW. I wouldn't have finished it if I weren't doing buddy reads with my friend on this one. We criticized this book to pieces, which was rather hilarious :P

      Delete
  5. I tend to DNF books like this. :P What a shame, the cover looks so gorgeous and I love retellings. Have you tried Tiger Lily? Now that's what you call a retelling. My heart literally squeezes every time I remember .. the book.

    Sorry this didn't work out for you, Angel.

    Your blog looks lovely, btw! :) Great review <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG THAT BOOK BROKE ME. When I read the letter Peter wrote Tiger Lily in the end, I basically broke down into crying. I have re-read that letter so many times that I can almost just recite it. Anderson's writing is so beautiful and it pulls my heartstrings at just the right places! I will buy anything that woman writes down, seriously!

      Delete
  6. That sucks that this book didn't live up to expectations. I was soo hoping it would be as epic as the cover is. I'm a big fan of retellings, but I guess I'll be skipping this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah me too :/ The cover is really cool and Pearce actually went on and wrote retellings for a couple of more fairy tales. I was gonna read them all before I started this one and I never imagined it could be this BAD :(

      Delete