Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Stacking the Shelves #4

Stacking the Shelves is a book-haul meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews. It is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks!
Bought
Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
Illusions of Fate by Kiersten White

A couple of weeks ago, I went to my first ever author book sign event for Laurie Halse Anderson's 2014 new release - The Impossible Knife of Memory. It was super cool and super exciting! Since I already have that book on kindle, I bought some of her older books instead (really though, I should have just gotten a hardcover of that same book again!) Both SPEAK and WINTERGIRLS are quite influential in the realistic fiction domain. In fact, Laurie Halse Anderson has always been known for tackling hard topics in her books. I'm really curious to see how she depicts her characters' struggles and how deep she can connect with me along the way!


What you see here is a GLORIOUS haul of books from bookoutlet.com (on average each of these darlings only cost me < $5 including shipping). I found out about this site a little while ago and let's just say that my wallet has suffered a great deal of losses since then... As you may have noticed here, there are lots of "#1"s. Yep, I'm in need of doing a bit of "series catching up" for sure :P
Borrowed

In the Shadows by Kiersten White, Jim Di Bartolo

I finished UNDER THE NEVER SKY a long time ago, but for some reason I didn't pick up the second book until only recently. I guess I didn't really get a strong compelling feeling from the first book but still. I kind of have this OCD of finishing series as long as I have started them, so we shall see how the second one goes.
For Review
The Body Electric by Beth Revis 
(Thanks NetGalley!)

The last time I read anything by Beth Revis, I was not even close to being impressed. ACROSS THE UNIVERSE is a series that had potential, but failed completely at keeping me interested. Hence initially I was not so keen at picking up her new book, but so far I have heard many good things about it. Even some of my blogger friends who disliked ACROSS THE UNIVERSE as much as I did praised her new work. So yes, I'm quite intrigued and I suppose a second chance is warranted here. Hopefully, this time I won't be so disappointed.