Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Waiting on Wednesday (4) : Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge

"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

Hello peeps! Sorry for the lack of posts lately. I'm on a vacation in Hawaii :)  (Gosh! Still can't believe I'm here) Although I failed at posting reviews on schedule, I'm doing great with catching up my readings! After all, what's there better to do than reading while sun bathing at the beach? So hang on tight and I will be back shortly ;)




For this week's WoW, I have decided to feature fantasy fairy tale retelling novel Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge.


Cruel Beauty
by Rosamund Hodge
Publisher: Balzer & Bray
Release: Jan 28th 2014
Pages: 352
Based on the classic fairy tale Beauty and the Beast, Cruel Beauty is a dazzling love story about our deepest desires and their power to change our destiny.

Since birth, Nyx has been betrothed to the evil ruler of her kingdom-all because of a foolish bargain struck by her father. And since birth, she has been in training to kill him.

With no choice but to fulfill her duty, Nyx resents her family for never trying to save her and hates herself for wanting to escape her fate. Still, on her seventeenth birthday, Nyx abandons everything she's ever known to marry the all-powerful, immortal Ignifex. Her plan? Seduce him, destroy his enchanted castle, and break the nine-hundred-year-old curse he put on her people.

But Ignifex is not at all what Nyx expected. The strangely charming lord beguiles her, and his castle-a shifting maze of magical rooms-enthralls her.

As Nyx searches for a way to free her homeland by uncovering Ignifex's secrets, she finds herself unwillingly drawn to him. Even if she could bring herself to love her sworn enemy, how can she refuse her duty to kill him? With time running out, Nyx must decide what is more important: the future of her kingdom, or the man she was never supposed to love.
My Notes:

I'm a big fan of fairy tale retelling books. Actually, let me rephrase it - it's on my bucket list to read all fairy tale retelling novels that ever come to existence. Hence, you can understand my excitements towards Cruel Beauty. Plus Beauty and the Beast is one of my favorite stories. Therefore, this book is definitely something I would not want to miss. I have seen a couple of ARC reviews out around and the general consensus are fairly positive. It's a good thing that 28th is right around the corner ;)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so jealous right now! Enjoy your vacation and don't forget to take a lot of pictures to share with us :) I'm dying to read this book too. Sounds really promising to me. My WoW

    Baileys @ Unladylike Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I will :D Maui is such an awesome place. I wish I'm here longer! I think this is probably one of my 2014 most anticipated debuts, can't wait to get my hands on it.

      Delete