Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Review: Splintered (Splintered, #1)

Author: A. G. Howard
Series: Splintered, #1
Publisher: Amulet Books
Release: Jan 1st 2013
Source: Borrowed
Pages: 371 (hardcover)
( Amazon | Goodreads )
This stunning debut captures the grotesque madness of a mystical under-land, as well as a girl’s pangs of first love and independence. Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers—precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. This family curse stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Alyssa might be crazy, but she manages to keep it together. For now.

When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests, including draining an ocean of Alice’s tears, waking the slumbering tea party, and subduing a vicious bandersnatch, to fix Alice’s mistakes and save her family. She must also decide whom to trust: Jeb, her gorgeous best friend and secret crush, or the sexy but suspicious Morpheus, her guide through Wonderland, who may have dark motives of his own.

Technically speaking, A.G. Howard's rendition of Wonderland bears more resemblance to Tim Burton's wild if not wicked imagination than to the original Lewis Caroll's tale. Though regardless of the origin of Howard's inspirations, Splintered can sure hold its own place among YA literatures. Its rich and exquisite scenery, puzzling yet absorbing plot, along with those superbly-done characters, altogether combined into this elaborate visual feast in front of us.

I rarely make bold claims, but truly, Howard's writing is the reason why words like "evocative" and "vivid" exist. Even someone like me, who is by no means a visual reader, can easily imagine the mystical world she created through her picturesque descriptions. The vibrant colors of wonderland that glimmer against the darkness. The twisted and vicious creatures that are all teeth and sharp edges. And the mysterious Morpheus whose ever-deepening grin allures every light and soul. They are all here with me and nothing could ever top that.

With this beautiful writing comes the even more addicting plot, so intricately orchestrated that we find ourselves constantly gaping in total amazement. For those who are familiar with the original story, it is fairly easy to spot the connections between the two. But what is really exceptional is the way Howard managed to put her own unique spin on every single reminiscence. Not too much that renders the clue unrecognizable, but enough to have us all applaud her ingenuity.

You must be thinking now, whoa can this get any better? It sure did. In Splintered, mysteries lurked at every corner of the page, making it almost impossible for us to see through the surface and grasp the true purposes of all Morphesus' seemingly nonsensical tasks. It is never clear who holds the winning piece in this grand and enigmatic chess game and that is the beauty of it. To be honest, very few plot twists surprise me nowadays without being overly abrupt. But Splintered did it with such grace and diligence, catching me utterly speechless yet making perfect sense out of every riddle there is. These revelations only made me fall even more in love with the story and become completely defenseless to Howard's charms.

The characters do not shy away from the high expectations you must all have now either. Alyssa, our protagonist, is quite the peculiar artist, who  makes breathtaking art from crushed bugs in order to silence their whispers. She does not have the best ancestry, especially when so many of her relatives have wound up in mental hospitals, but she is determined to save her family and be free. We witness her growth throughout her challenges in Wonderland, piece together puzzles alongside her as she discovers more about her hereditary curse, and struggle with her when no one around her seems to be genuinely reliable. She may not be the most relatable character, but she is certainly one to be held in our high esteem.

As some of you may already know, there is indeed a love triangle in this book. But don't be quick to judge yet, because this is nothing like you have seen before. Even though the backstories of these two love interests are quite generic, I can say with confidence that you will be dazzled by both, so much so you won't know whom to pick at all. It is a surprisingly captivating dilemma to have.

Reading Splintered is nothing short of a delightful breeze. The ending wrapped everything up nicely, aside from leaving a little opening for more brilliant imaginations to come. And I can't wait to see what else Howard has to offer in the future.


My Rating:  (4 and 1/2 stars)

24 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful review Angel!!! I've heard amazing things about this book and I really need to make time to read it. The writing sounds absolutely stunning:) Normally the mere mention of a love triangle would send me running for the hills, but it seems like this might be one of those rare occasions where it works well. Win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny *blush* The love triangle in this book worked super well, nothing like the common "flipping back and forth" nonsense, but really genuine attractions that will make us as conflicted as Alyssa is. I can never pick a team out of the two :P

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the awesome review Angel! I definitely need to pick this up either through Amazon or the bookstore sometime over the summer. I've heard way too many good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely!!! The level of detail for each scene is remarkable. I have never read anything like this. I was a bit overwhelmed in the beginning to be honest, but it grew on me. I can't wait to pick up the next book!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful review Angel. My daughter (who took my copy & hasn't returned it) totally loved this, and in fact ran right out and bought book two. I have a feeling it has earned a place on her bookshelf and I shall never see it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha if I were her, I would keep it for myself too :P

      Delete
  4. Yes! I am so glad you loved this one, and I totally agree that vivid is a word just meant for this book! And, oooh, that love triangle! I adored them both, although I will say that I'm Team Morpheus. :D

    Angie @ Pinkindle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I think most people are team Morpheus as far as I can tell. But I don't know, I really like Jeb too. I get that whole "growing up together friend" thing, and I can totally feel his struggles.

      Delete
  5. *dances*
    This is one of my favorites :) Agree so much about the love triangle. It plays a bigger part in the second book but it still just works so well. Both guys are really so different. *cough* team Morpheus *cough* Anyway... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. *runs in circles screaming* THIS IS MY NEW FAVOURITE SERIES OF EVER. But I'm kind of freaking out because I don't want Ensnared to do what I think it's going to do. *ahem* Go the Moth. Also YES to how creepy and Tim Burton like it is. I was saying to my sister, "Dang, I wish they could make this into a movie". Except they already kind of HAVE. Which is disappointing to me, because Tim Burton's movie doesn't have Morpheus in it, and that's a problem. I'm so glad you liked it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha that's a pretty intense reaction, eh? Howard is definitely getting on my favorite author list too, as long as Unhinged and Ensnare keep up the quality ;)

      Delete
  7. I loved this one, as well as Unhinged. I can't wait for the 3rd book! I do love Wonderland retellings, and AG Howard's was fantastically fabulous! Awesome review, Angel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh I really need to start Unhinged. The responses I saw weren't as good as the first one though. Something about the characters turned a bit disappointing. But I will definitely read it :D

      Delete
  8. These books have the most beautiful covers! And so weird, but interesting and just plain AWESOME! I haven't picked this one up yet, but Alice in Wonderland is one of my favorite stories. Glad to see that you liked it SO much! Will have to pick it up soon! (:

    Lisa
    www.turningpages94.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should read it soon!! This series is awesome and you can't miss out on this.

      Delete
  9. WOW what a fantastic review. Not only does the book sound great but you wrote this beautifully! I have been meaning to read Splintered for a while I just haven't gotten around to it yet. My goal is to catch up on the series before the last book comes out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Nicole :P And you need to get this book asap. I would highly suggest buying the hardcover. It's totally worth collecting!

      Delete
  10. I loved Splintered! It was such an interestingly Gothic twist on the original Alice in Wonderland. And omg that cover. So awesome.
    In terms of the love triangle, I sort of viewed both love interests equally in the first book (even though I thought Jeb was super bland lol), but in Unhinged, I'm definitely Team Morpheus ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked both Jeb and Morpheus and I completely understood Alyssa's struggle. They are like her lovers for different lifestyles. And her choice of what kind of life she wants to have will ultimately determine who she will end up with. But this said choice is never easy or clear to make.

      Delete
  11. I'm so glad you liked this one, but it still feels kind of lonely on my side. Unfortunately, I didn't much care for this, the love triangle drove me absolutely mad, and Jeb wasn't someone I could get behind, not under any circumstances.
    However, I do realize that I'm the odd one out and I'm always glad to see one of my friends enjoying it.
    Lovely review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww that's too bad :/ I thought you would for sure love this one if you had read it. Oh well, I can understand why you are frustrated with it though, the love triangle definitely puts quite a lot of people off.

      Delete
  12. Great review! I wanted to let you know that I've nominated you for a Liebster Blog Award! You can visit this post to find out what to do next: http://desertrosereviewsunplugged.blogspot.com/2014/04/we-won-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for nominating me Rose :D I'm so honored. I'm not really doing any award posts right now, but still I'm so glad you like my blog!

      Delete